Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Salted Carmel Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwich


I had a cheesecake craving this week. It all started when I went to the bakery last week and I was all set to order a slice of cheesecake; but, they had completely run out of it. Even though I had already planned my post this week to feature a salted caramel ice cream, when I was in the kitchen, I realized that I still really wanted cheesecake. And that's when the idea hit me: How about a cheesecake ice cream with salted butter caramel drizzles and graham cracker pieces, too? Thinking it through some more, I figured that cheesecake ice cream drizzled with caramel and sandwiched in between a couple pieces of graham crackers would be the best route.

So it was born -- the Salted Carmel Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwich. Obviously this isn't your traditional baked New York style cheesecake. The ice cream is airy, sweet and cream cheesy. The salted caramel drizzle brings in a sweet buttery flavor; and the tiny bit of salt enhances the cream cheese flavor of the ice cream.


This cheesecake ice cream is very versatile. You can serve it with fresh fruit. You can even crush up graham crackers and  use it as a bed for your ice cream, then add some fresh black berries (or any other fresh berries you have on hand) to make a totally different dessert. 


Cheesecake Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cups sugar
8 oz package cream cheese
pinch of salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)


The Salted Carmel Sauce can be found on my previous post "Sassy Strawberry."

In a medium sauce pan, heat 1 cup of the heavy cream, milk, and sugar. When the mixture is warm, temper the 3 egg yolks in a separate bowl. Once 3/4 of the mixture has been tempered with the eggs, pour the ice cream batter back into the sauce pan and return to the heat. Add the cream cheese and, if you desire a bit more tanginess, you can include some sour cream. Use a whisk to break up the cream cheese and make the ice cream base smooth. After the ice cream base reaches a low boil, remove it from the heat. Place the ice cream base in a heat proof bowl. Next, stir in the remaining heavy cream, salt and vanilla extract. Place in an ice bath for 1 hour and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  Follow your ice cream maker instructions. When your cheesecake ice cream is a soft serve consistency, place the half of the ice cream in a 9x9 inch freezer safe pan.  Let the ice cream set up in the freezer.

To make the ice cream sandwiches, break some of your graham crackers in half and use them as patterns to cut out ice cream squares in the 9x9 pan. Place an ice cream square on top of one half of your graham cracker, drizzle on your salted butter caramel, and then place the other half of your graham cracker on top of your ice cream sandwich.  


You can serve your Salted Caramel Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwich with a side of caramel sauce for those with an extra big sweet tooth. 

Enjoy.

Bao

22 comments:

Joy said...

Bao, I may have just fallen in love...over a dessert. This is so perfect in every way - cheesecake in ice cream form *check, a delicious salted caramel *double check, all sandwiched in between some graham crackers -- I DIE.

This is by far the most genius dessert I've seen in a while -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for great comments! It so fun to share with all my fellow food bloggers. You keep me going when my day job wears me down. I really really enjoy reading your China (http://joylicious.net/), can't wait for the next segments.

RLV @ bittensweetblog.com said...

Looks delicious! I'll def have to try this!

Gastronomer said...

This is my favorite flavor thus far! Salted caramel AND cheese cake?! NICE NICE NICE! Yay for creative cravings.

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh yes! This is just what we all need now that the weather's getting just a bit warmer.

Memória said...

This is so cool!!!! I have to make this soon! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe and idea.

Cathy S. said...

Bao- Can you PLEASE make this for me for my birthday??? This is my favorite of all your concepts so far! It sounds SO flippin' deLICious!

citronetvanille said...

You are killing me with your desserts! Salted caramel? that is absolutely my favorite, and that ice cream to die for...AND I don't even eat desserts! you are such a temptress!

Kelly Leigh said...

oh my gosh this looks amazing! I am so sad that my icecream maker is stuck in the basement of my mom's house in america! why can't electrical appliances work the same all over the world?!

baobabs said...

Looks fantastic!!!

baobabs said...

Looks fantastic!!!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

As soon as I saw your post yesterday I was blown away... This looks absolutely delicious.

I can't wait to try making some this weekend.

Piee said...

I think I drooled a bit when I saw your photos...I may have to make a midnight run to the market to make this cream cheese ice cream...

zoom yummy said...

Well, is there a better combo than that? I doubt it! Cheers! Petra :)

Cheri said...

Oh man. That looks too good. Wishing I had some in my hands right now. Delish!

Anonymous said...

Wow guys. Thanks for making this the Number 1 post on the site! I'm so glad you luv my creation.

The Frozen Fix said...

Excited to find another ice cream blogger! Looks great!

I just recently started my blog:
www.frozenfix.com

Anonymous said...

@thefrozenfix Nice to meet another ice cream making fanatic! I added you to my list of fellow ice cream makers. Keep the ice cream imagination up!

Coco Cake Land said...

BAO>>>> this looks so amazing!!! i love how you froze it in a square pan and sliced it up in squares.

nice one!!

:)

lyndsay

Two fit and fun gals said...

this looks amazing...! love the extra cup of caramel on the side.. hehe

Kariman Al Essawy said...

It looks fantastic, really yummy, great recipe.

Spencer said...

What an awesome combination! The cheesecake looks absolutely amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

All photography and written text on all our sites are Copyright of Triple Scoop Desserts ©2007-2018, unless otherwise noted. Material may not be duplicated, published or re-written without permission. All rights reserved